Evolution in technology has revolutionised communication approaches. Easily accessible, portable cellular devices and tablets have reshaped how individuals receive and share information. Today, more and more individuals report utilising mobile phones to learn new aspects and upgrade their skills to keep up the pace with the industry. The core idea behind M-learning is easy access to information from virtually any corner of the world and at any time. As per a study, by 2021, businesses will implement mobile learning (M-learning) for their training programs by 78%. Given this trend, mobile learning, with creative design techniques, is taking the training programs to the next level.
Of late, mobile learning is regarded as the robust training/learning platform and is the most preferred option for informal as well as formal training programs.
Some of the factors that trigger the steady adoption of this platform include:
With that said, mobile learning solutions can be delivered not just in the form of videos but also in the form of ebook, documents, flashcards and bite-sized learning modules.
Implementing mobile learning is easier when compared to other forms of E-learning. The steps involved in this process are:
Although the changing learning environment is lubricating the shift to M-learning, it is the potential advantages of Mobile E-Learning that are being valued by organisations. The benefits of M-learning include:
1. Flexibility Mobile learning eliminates the need for learning to happen at a specific place and time. Learners’ have the advantage of accessing the training materials from their desired pace at a preferred time and at their own pace. Also, the learning solutions can be in any format such as videos, podcasts, documents, flashcards, etc.
2. Enhances knowledge retention Mobile learning results in improved learners’ knowledge retention. Learners’ are more likely to understand relevant & relatable concise and crisp data in a better manner. This will enable them to recall the information whenever required easily. It also provides better compilation rates and seamless learning experience.
3. Customisation resulting in improved learners’ engagement As per statistics, learners’ engagement improves considerably when the training is delivered via mobile devices. M-learning lets you cater to the training needs of the individuals by developing tailor-made courses. This promotes higher learning engagement. Moreover, it lets the learners’ stay on the right track resulting in the reduced dropouts.
4. Easy adoption Responsive design goes hand-in-hand with mobile learning solutions. The responsive design allows the interface to seamlessly adapt to various device sizes and platforms (smartphones, desktops, laptops, etc.). It can also be built using different frameworks such as HTML5 and so on cost-effectively.
5. Multi-device & performance support One of the best advantages of using mobile learning it supports multiple devices. That is, you can run the same course in a wide range of devices such as tablets, desktop, and many more. This allows learners’ on-the-go to retrieve information whenever required, facilitating the overall learning experience. M-learning also provides easy access to training information and yields high-quality performance.
6. Bite-size learning modules Microlearning is gaining importance more than ever due to the rapid adoption of mobile as a learning medium. The bite-sized reduces the need for a huge amount of information, thereby avoiding cognitive overloading.
M-learning is here to stay! It supports a myriad of pedagogies and offers a differentiated learning environment. Adopt the ubiquitous cellular device, meet the training requirements of your organisation and expand your business territories.
Mike Cornell and Emma Jones are behind the success of Elearning Blog, a blog solely focused on providing free resources and tips for e-learning.